The first record of the name of Wrotham is in a Charter by which King Offa of Mercia granted Addington, Trottiscliffe and Stansted to Rochester in AD788. King Offa came to the throne after a period of civil war following on from the assassination of AEthelbald. King Offa took advantage of the instability within the Kingdom of Kent and established himself as lord. In the earliest days of Christianity, when the two great cathedral cities of Winchester and Canterbury were built, it was a custom of the monks to make pilgrimages from one cathedral to another and the Pilgrims Way came into being. Houses where the monks could stop were erected along the route, were always at the intersection of roads, near hamlets, so that the dangers of molestation and robbery were lessened. Even before pilgrims’ days this route was used as a trade route, and would have led to the coastal beaches of Kent. The Bull Hotel became an inn in 1280 and is one of the oldest hostelries in the country. In recent years, and during WW2, pilots from Biggin Hill and West Malling made this one of their favourite watering holes, and at one time, the ceiling was decorated with the signatures of the famous Battle of Britain pilots.